Monday, August 12, 2013

OBX, The Part In Which I Used Princess Consuela Just Once

Having a little boy break his arm at the beach means, well, the beach loses a tad of its appeal.

Even though broken arms are "no big deal" and it wasn't painful, Charlie was still getting used to his cast during that second half of our beach vacay. He's a worrier and he takes his time getting comfortable with new things.  We had a cast cover overnighted to our beach house - thank you for being so awesome, Amazon - so no water or sand would get inside it. Technically, you can get these fiber glass casts wet -- but I just couldn't imagine how itchy it would be to have sand get down inside it or what it could do to his skin to have it stay wet in there for the length of time it would take before it would dry. Seriously, though. How would it ever dry inside there?  

After a bit of an emotionally exhausting start, we were thrilled to have my parents join us on Monday evening for the remainder of the week.

On Tuesday morning, we took Mom & D down to the water for a walk. This is the only time Princess Consuela made it out that week. Oh, well. It was midday and I was feeling uninspired. Sometimes I'm lazy and Instagram makes life so lovely and EASY with those adorable squares... ;)
2013-08-11_0001
It's always nice to have my mom around. She takes pictures of me. :)
2013-08-11_0002
2013-08-11_0003
How cute is this?? My dad brought a metal detector and the boys were just following him around in a line on a treasure hunt! Seriously. It was the cutest! And they found several quarters, a baseball keychain and three bangle bracelets! And then Henry threw most of the treasure into the ocean...
2013-08-11_0004
Photo shoot-out!
2013-08-11_0005
Later in the afternoon, my parents took Charlie to the movie theater and Mike and I took Henry back down to the beach. THIS is when I should have brought the big girl camera. Henry with the truck. Golden hour. It would've been lovely. Oh, well.
2013-08-11_0006
The next day, we all went down to the water. The cast cover had arrived but Charlie, like I said, takes a while to warm up to things and he wasn't the biggest fan of it yet. We managed to convince him to get out on the sandbar and he had some fun finally playing catch with Dad with a little ocean on his toes.
2013-08-11_0007
2013-08-11_0008
Mike and I left the boys with my parents and went to Blue Point in Duck for dinner. This has to be one of my favorite restaurants. It's on the sound side with an outdoor bar overlooking the water. We love it. I had the scallops while Mike had the crabcakes. Then, I couldn't resist the blueberry and peach crumble. The food is amazing.
2013-08-11_0009
Thursday was a pool day. We finally got the cast cover on C and he was instantly happier.
2013-08-11_0010
We had been wanting to try The Paper Canoe and decided to have a big family dinner there on Thursday night. It was delicious. I had lobster ravioli. Um. YUM.
2013-08-11_0011
2013-08-11_0012

We had a wonderful week at the beach -- but we are already looking forward to next summer when we can do it all again -- without the cast. ;)

1 comment: